Let’s play some catch-up
March 19, 2008, 7:55 pm
Filed under: Basketball, Football, Travel

DENVER — So, I was home for two days but I only just found enough free time — on my second night in Denver — to update my blog. I’ll link to what I did back in Pullman.

I flew back to Spokane, and hence Pullman, after a drive, on Saturday. And on Sunday, I had to do a preview story for WSU spring football, which started Monday. Access was going to be a large problem — access to coaches and players. I wrote a temporary brief for Monday’s paper with the assumption I wouldn’t be able to talk to anyone, and sent it in to the Spokesman.

KoprivicaSunday afternoon was the WSU basketball team’s NCAA selection party at Bohler Gym on campus, a larger extravaganza than I had anticipated. With limited battery life (I was charging it on the court in between shooting), I took enough footage to piece together this video (also linked from the picture to the left) on the party and the Cougars’ reactions to their surprise No. 4 seeding in the NCAA tournament (which is why I’m now in Denver).

As luck would have it, while I was there I spotted football coach Paul Wulff and grabbed him, knowing I wouldn’t otherwise be able to talk to him for my spring football story. He was very pleasant, and invited me with his family into the football office, where I did a quick (8.5-minute) interview. The results are this story.

On Monday, I headed over to campus at 2 p.m. in anticipation of Wulff’s 2:30 press conference, which went off without a hitch. Then I strolled over to Rogers Field (the practice field below the WSU library) to watch the first day of practice. All three hours of it. Standing up, in my dress shoes, as the weather got steadily colder. There, I interviewed a few players and got enough to put together this story on the first day of spring ball.

Of course, it was St. Patrick’s Day (I spent an hour — yes, one full hour — ironing my only green dress shirt, which I hadn’t worn since last spring precisely because it was wrinkled beyond recognition as a shirt), so that night I met up with the Evergreen crew for some celebration. Not too late, though, because I had my 12:30 p.m. flight to catch out of Spokane en route for Denver. (Noon doesn’t sound very early, but I had to leave Pullman at 9:30 to get to the airport, which required a 7:30 wake-up time — which is early for me.)

Anyway, now I’m in Denver, one day after arriving, updating from my 10th-floor room in the downtown Marriott. A nice hotel, to say the least.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: