Celebrating Leap Day with style
March 1, 2008, 12:48 am
Filed under: Basketball, Down Time

KENNEWICK — That post title is bogus.

I just wanted to write that because “bogus” is a word I don’t use enough.

No, really … here’s how I spent my Leap Day on my own in Kennewick.

  • 9 a.m. – Housekeeping knocks on my already-locked door. Seriously? At 9 a.m.?
  • 11 a.m. – Tired of hitting the snooze button every nine minutes, I get up wondering why I was so tired. Oh yeah, I didn’t sleep well Wednesday night, got up early Thursday morning, drove to the Tri-Cities, watched several hours of basketball and wrote a story on deadline.
  • 1 p.m. – Drive two blocks to Shari’s (I didn’t know it was that close) for a late breakfast. I was craving eggs. Other than, say, the nearby teriyaki joint, Shari’s was one of the more healthy choices near my hotel. I tried searching for a grocery store Thursday night, but the hotel desk lady said the nearest one is in Richland.
  • 3:30 p.m. – Walk from my hotel to the adjacent mall with the goal to browse the DVD section at Barnes & Noble. Of course, the Kennewick mall has probably the only B&N in existence without a CD/DVD section. I buy a Sports Illustrated and Time magazine.
  • 3:45 p.m. – Buy a small Orange Julius. Oh. My. God.
  • 4:15 p.m. – After visiting Lens Crafters and The Gap to kill time, I walk back up to my hotel and get my backpack ready for the games. I read a few Sports Illustrated articles while I wait for my video camera to recharge a bit.
  • 5 p.m. – I grab my camcorder and set off for the Toyota Center, filming the process for my “where I work” video I’ll post tomorrow. Then I wander around the arena inconspicuously filming the place.
  • 6:15 p.m. – The Community Colleges of Spokane women start their romping of Lower Columbia CC. They move onto the semifinals Saturday for a chance to play in the championship game. Since they’re doing well in the tournament, I’ll now be writing two stories a night — one on the women and one on the men. Tonight, I only wrote about four inches on the women and stuck it on the end of my story on the men.
  • 8 p.m. – I scramble to get in my interview with women’s coach Bruce Johnson before the men’s game starts. Luckily, the men’s games are a bit behind schedule.
  • 9:30 p.m. – The Sasquatch men complete their assassination of Clackamas CC. I had written my four inches on the women during halftime of the men’s game, so all I had to do was interview men’s coach Mike Burns and two players. Oh yeah, and write the article.
  • 10:30 p.m. – Call my assistant editor to let him know my story is in (deadline on Fridays is 11 p.m.). I pack up and head out of there, drive back to the hotel and call it a night.

One observation before I leave you. At both of the men’s basketball games I’ve reported on this weekend, there have been random guys at the media table (I can only assume they’re with another news outlet) who just talk throughout the whole thing. And not about the game they’re supposedly watching — the guys Thursday night were talking about football. (In fact, I know one of those guys was Tri-City Herald sportswriter Jack Millikin.)

This is so rude. Not only am I trying to concentrate and record the game, the media table is right next to the court. Well within earshot of the players. It’s just disrespectful to talk at the top of your lungs about football when you’re at the media table. And it’s unprofessional.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: